Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Korean Spicy Rice Cakes

When we visited Seoul last year, we tried deokbokki, which is spicy stir fried rice cakes. The ones in Seoul that we tried were spicy and yet sweet and we didn't really like it very much. It was nice, but I won't eat a whole plate of it!

When shopping at Sol Mart on Sunday, we bought a packet of instant deokbokki. You just had to add water and cook. It was nice but at $7.30 a packet, just a tad expensive. What to do, we have to make our own if we want to have it regularly!

I found a recipe from My Korean Kitchen and asked my mom if she'd try making it. She said okay and I bought Gochujang sauce, a packet of rice cakes and chili powder from Sol Mart.

Mom tried the recipe yesterday and I am posting the result here. Mom tweaked the recipe a bit by adding button mushrooms and kimchi and more chili powder. It was very very nice! I think the main reason was that my mom's version is a lot more spicier than what we had in Seoul.

I love the ones my mom made and I will ask her to make them again really soon!

No comments: